About this blog

If you're looking for me to brag about how cute my kids are (which they are) or talk about how much weight I did or didn't lose this week, you are in the wrong place! I have a Facebook account for that. This blog is about the blunt truths of parenting, tips and tricks of the trade, some addicting mommy junk and all the other disgusting hilarity that ensues when you have kids...especially two kids only 12 months apart like myself.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 16

The Concept of Free-Range Kids

I've always had a strong attitude towards raising self-reliant kids. Both kids clean up after themselves if they spill something and have since they could walk. No, I'm not exaggerating. The eager toddler spills and you had them a paper towel. They've seen you do it a million times and copy you just like they are programmed to do. The catch is to make sure you always expect this of them, even when it is much easier to do it yourself. If its a huge mess help them...do not do it for them!

They also both use "big kid" cups (think a plastic open cup, just small) for dinner every night...and they get them and fill them themselves. Yes they spill, but like I already said, they clean it up. They use "real" silverware, not the plastic baby crap. I don't hover over them at the park so long as I can see them. Boo goes to the bathroom by himself from start to finish (except poop...I'm not ready for my 2.5 year old to try and wipe his own butt yet because last time we tried that a poo murder scene went down in my bathroom...we're talking toilet seat, walls, pants, underwear and even my scale).

You get the idea. I am their mom, not their bitch slave. They are capable, little human beings and treating them like so raises their confidence. It also makes life much easier for mom with only a little extra front loaded work for a lifetime of payoffs for both mom and kids.

So here's the final point, I found this amazing book on this concept of free-ranging your kids. You should really check it out!!  Free-Range Kids, How to Raise Safe, Self-Reliant Children (Without Going Nuts with Worry)

3 comments:

Jenna said...

On my way to amazon to buy this right now...

Jenna said...

And a random side note: The word verification to post my last comment was "panties" - really?

Ramona said...

oh jennna! i love that word! now did they know?